She turns 5 this month and we are going Barbie shopping this evening. Note the Barbie shopping bag.
And off I went to the Restore. But, not too surprising, no bookshelves that day. However, I did find a beat up old chest of drawers (painted several times) in a nice mint green. No drawer handles, not that it would matter, the drawers were broken and wouldn't hold a thing. After a discount I got the chest for $19.00 (though they should have paid me to take it, it really wasn't usable or sellable).
I dont have a before picture, and didn't plan on a blog, but I found a cute blog on a DIY dollhouse by "A Girl and a Glue Gun" http://www.kimboscrafts.blogspot.com/2010/02/diy-barbie-house.html . Which inspired me to blog about mine!
Here is the bookshelf as it stands today. I have taken out the drawers and slides (what was left of them); trimmed out the bottom in a fancy leftover piece of baseboard moulding I had, and installed 2 shelves, using some more fancy scrap moulding to look like crown moulding. The shelves are 12 inches apart, which allows Barbie to stand up. I've started to prime it and tear the top off (the last level is only 10 inches) so I am going to add a pitch to the roof.